Anti-Ragging Cell should be one of the important part of Educational Institution’s mechanism. As per the guidelines of UGC under the Act of 1956, which is modified as UGC regulations on curbing the menace of Ragging in higher Educational Institutions, 2009, establishment of Anti-Ragging Cell is very compulsory.
Anti-Ragging Committee will be the supervisory and advisory committee in preserving a Culture of Ragging Free Environment in the college Campus. The main objectives of this cell are as follows:
- To aware the students of dehumanizing effect of ragging inherent in its perversity.
- To keep a continuous watch and vigil over ragging so as to prevent its occurrence and recurrence.
- To promptly and stringently deal with the incidents of ragging brought to our notice.
- To generate an atmosphere of discipline by sending a clear message that no act of ragging shall be tolerated and any act of ragging shall not go unnoticed and unpunished.
As per the order of Supreme Court of India and subsequent Notification from University Grants Commission (UGC), ragging constitutes one or more of any intention by any student or group of students on:
- Any act of Indiscipline, Teasing or Handling with Rudeness.
- Any act that Prevents, Disrupts the Regular Academic Activity.
- Any activity which is likely to cause Annoyance, hardship, Psychological Harm or creates Fear or Apprehension.
- Any Act of Financial Extortion or Forceful Expenditure.
- Any Act of Physical Abuse causing Assault, Harm or danger to Health.
- Any Act of abuse by spoken words, emails, SMS or public insult etc.
- Any Act of injury or infringement of the fundamental right to the human dignity.
- Any Act of Wrongful Confinement, Kidnapping, molesting or committing unnatural offences, use of criminal forces, trespass or intimidation.
- Any unlawful assembly or conspiracy to ragging.
No person who is a student of S.V.M. Arts, Science and Commerce College Ilkal shall commit ragging. Supreme Court of India has ordered that ‘if any incident of ragging comes to the notice of the authority, the concerned student shall be given liberty to explain and if his/her explanation is not found satisfactory, the authority would expel him/her from the institution’.
The college has a zero tolerance policy on ragging.
Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence the Anti-Ragging Committee and the Governing Body of the college will take stringent action on the offender either by
- Cancellation of admission
- Debarring from admission to any other institution of the University
- Withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing examination
- Debarring from representing the College in sports and cultural events
- Expulsion from the hostel
- The college will resort to collective punishment when the persons committing the crime of ragging are not identified, to ensure community pressure on the potential raggers.
- To meet periodically to discuss and prevent incidences of ragging
- Educate students on the negativity of ragging which will help them to refrain from such acts
- Monitor anti – ragging activities in the Institution
- Anti ragging billboard is displayed in the entrance of the college
- The whole campus is under CCTV surveillance and the movements of the students are monitored
- Names of those indulging in ragging will be instantly removed from the admission and further action will be taken as per the policy.